Friday, July 9, 2010
~ Whole Wheat Pizza Dough ~
* 1 tablespoons granulated sugar or honey
* 1 1/4 cups warm water (110F)
* 1 (1/4 ounce) pack dry yeast
* 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 cups whole wheat flour
* 1 teaspoon of salt
* 1/4 cup olive oil
Step by Step Procedure :
1. Dissolve sugar or honey in water and add yeast.
2. In a separate bowl, combine flours.
3. Allow to sit until the yeast foams slightly (about 5 minutes).
4. Combine 3 cups of the flour and salt in a bowl. Pour the yeast mixture and oil if you are using it.
5. Knead the mixture, gradually adding enough of the remaining flour mixture so that the dough is no longer sticky. Continue kneading until the dough is smooth and elastic (another 10−15 minutes by hand).
6. Shape dough into a ball and put in an large oiled bowl, turning the dough to coat it with the oil.
7. Allow to rise until doubled in size (45 minutes to 1 hours).
8. Punch down the dough and divide into 2 pieces. This will make two 12 inch pizzas.
9. Shape each portion into a 12" circle either by hand or with a rolling pin, stretching out as necessary to achieve a thin dough. For a lighter crust, let the dough sit for a half hour after shaping before constructing pizza and baking.
10. Spread sauce over crust and top with cheese and desired toppings.
11. Allow to rest in a warm location for 15 minutes.
12. Bake in a 475 degree oven until crust is golden, about 20 minutes.