Wednesday, March 9, 2011
~ Easy bread recipe ~
To makes 2 loaves:
* 7 tsp dry yeast granules
* 2 cups boiling water
* 4 tsp honey
* 2 cups cold water
* 2¾ cups wholemeal flour
* 2¾ cups white flour (choose high grade or bakers flour if possible)
* 4 tbsp pumpkin seeds
* 2 cups sunflower seeds
* 3 tsp salt
1. Firstly preheat your oven to just 180ºF (80ºC) and grease and line two 5 x 9 inch bread tins with baking paper.
2. In a bowl, combine the honey with the boiling water and stir to dissolve. Next, add the cold water and yeast and put to one side for 10 minutes so the yeast can activate (you will see some ‘froth’ form on the surface of the water).
3. Give the yeast mixture a good stir and then add the wholemeal and white flour, sunflower seeds and salt and mix until it is evenly combined. The mixture will be a very ‘loose’ and wet but don’t worry.
4. Now divide the wet mixture between your two prepared bread tins, spreading the dough so it is even distributed. Next, sprinkle the pumpkin seeds on the top of the dough. To ensure that the bread rises evenly and cooks without splitting, run a sharp knife through the top of each loaf in 4 or 5 places.
5. Place your loaves into your preheated oven and bake for just 20 minutes at 180ºF (80ºC), then turn the oven temperature up to 410ºF (210ºC) and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. To check if your bread is cooked simply tap each loaf – they should sound hollow. Turn the loaves out onto a cooling rack while they are still hot and leave them to cool.